Episode 4 – Risqué pronunciation – The mistakes you must avoid

Welcome to the fourth episode of the French Blabla podcast where we will cover tips to increase your fluency while boosting your way of learning. In today’s episode, I will share with you a shameful moment of my English journey and you will discover some words that you should pronounce correctly if you don’t want to get offended looks, or if you don’t want to put yourself in an awkward situation.

In this Episode

• Why I was so embarrassed on that fateful night
  • The words you really shouldn’t mispronounce
  • Expressions that are definitely not transparent

Share you story in the comments

What words or expressions have you used that got you some weird looks? Do you have an embarrassing moment that happened in your learning journey? I would love to hear about it.

Music by bensound.com

12 thoughts on “Episode 4 – Risqué pronunciation – The mistakes you must avoid

• Caro says:

Merci beaucoup Martina pour le commentaire 🙂 Je suis chaud(e) is unfortunately a classic, that’s strange people didn’t correct you. If I were to say something awkward in English, I wouldn’t want to keep saying it. Now you know what to say 😉

1. Ines says:

I love this podcast! So useful!!
    I would add : UN CHAT / UNE CHATTE. For the masculine we don’t pronounce the “t”. For the feminine we do pronounce the ‘t” but BE CAREFUL une chatte is also a slang word to refer to the sex of a woman. I advice you to speak with the masculine even if your cat is female. You will avoid strange smiles when saying “ma chatte ne va pas bien” or this kind of sentences…!
    Thank you caro for the podcast!

• Caro says:

Hahaha merci Inès pour ton commentaire ! You are so true. I always correct my students when they pronounce the “t” in “le chat”, it could sound really awkward. I saw a girl on a social media whose name is “je suis une chatte”. She’s not French so there was no intent behind, but I didn’t dare tell her what her nickname meant in French.

2. Martina says:

Hi Caroline, was it me you mentioned ?:-) I’ve been busy but finally I got a minute to comeback to your podcast! Being a beginner (even though I am an advanced beginner 🙂 ) I struggle with majority of French sentences which are more complicated than a simple present tense. I’m currently trying to get into the COD/COI and even though I understand the concept the word order is rather confusing. Also I’ve learnt my basics in French in English which is my second language making this slight more complicated 🙂 But I do love your podcasts and they are so useful!!

3. Caro says:

Coucou Martina, oui c’est toi dans l’épisode ! Welcome back to French Blabla, I’m really happy the episodes are useful to you.
    By COD/COI you mean the “le-la-les” and “lui-leur”?

• Caro says:

Oui mais je suis froid means that you have a cold and distant personality. If you mean the temperature is low, then you will say “j’ai froid”. Same for “I’m hot” you will say “j’ai chaud”. “Il fait chaud” is when the weather is hot.