questions

Episode 48 – This is actually how we ask questions

Welcome to the forty-eighth episode of the French Blabla podcast where we will cover tips to increase your fluency while boosting your way of learning. This episode is for you, my intermediate level listeners. There will be a lot of structure and syntax twisting and a basic command of the French grammar is needed. Hold on tight and stay focused because it won’t be a walk in the park. However as the saying goes “no pain no gain” right? The reward is big, it’s going to change completely the way you ask questions. For a refresher on how to ask questions about work when you get to know somebody, listen to episode 7.

You know, when I was creating this episode, I was planning on addressing two very important structures today but I saw myself typing and typing, realizing that me talking about one structure was already wayyy too long. We will keep the second one for another day. You know I’m not a big fan of lengthy episodes and I also don’t want to overwhelm you.

In this Episode

• Difference between the questions you’ve learnt and questions today
  • How to create questions the natural way
  • A challenge for you to shine

questions

questions

7 thoughts on “Episode 48 – This is actually how we ask questions

1. Jewell says:

C’est combien que ça coute?
    C’est quoi que tu regard souvent le télé?
    C’est où que trouve la gare?
    C’est qui qui a mangè la dernier part du gateau?

• Caro says:

Jewell, super travail ! Tu as trois phrases correctes et une qui n’est pas correcte. Petit commentaire par rapport à “C’est où que trouve la gare?”: Le verbe est “se trouver”. On doit garder le petit “se”. On obtient “c’est où que se trouve la gare ?”

2. Kim T. Hovanky says:

1. C’est combien que ça coûte?
    2. C’est souvent que tu regardes la télé?
    3. C’est où que se trouve la gare?
    4. C’est qui qui a mangé la dernière part de gâteau?

• Caro says:

Coucou Kim ! Super les transformations, c’est parfait. Mais, même s’il n’y a pas d’erreur, there’s an answer where you went beyond the scope of the episode. Elle est totalement correcte mais par rapport à l’épisode et ce que j’enseigne dedans, elle n’est pas possible 😉 Tu me diras laquelle.

3. Kim says:

c’est le numéro 2. Le adverbe “souvent”. Because by answering with “c’est souvent”, we implied that the person watches tele “souvent”.

One unrelated request: Is there a way I can change my name to something else or to just my first name and take off my middle and last name? I hope you could help me with that. Merci.

• Caro says:

Oui that’s correct. The second phrase is the “incorrect” one. The episode dealt with how to use question words differently. The “est-ce que” questions can’t be transformed. But you decided to put the emphasis on “souvent”, which is perfectly fine and correct, but doing so the emphasis isn’t on the question word anymore. If we take the first question, the emphasis is on “combien”, which is a question word. This way of emphasizing an element is called “la mise en relief” and there are many ways to do it. This episode only talks about one way.

I think you managed to do it because now you’ve commented as “Kim” only. I think you must have registered yourself somewhere to be able to comment and that’s where you should change your info. Let me know. From my end, there’s nothing I can do, I’m afraid.